Thursday, June 3, 2010

Tool 8 musings

Sid the Science guy reaches 2nd grade curriculum in talking about tools (magnifying glass) and making educated guesses. When I give students assignments that include estimating, they later try to "fix" the original estimation, or they "wait" until they've discovered the right answer. This would be good to show at the beginning of the year to set the expectations of making best guesses for the benefit of activating the brain.

3 comments:

stacey said...

I really liked the Sid the Science Kid clip. My niece watches that program on PBS, but I hadn't even thought about looking for those clips on you tube. Thanks for jump starting my thinking!

Melanie said...

We also found them on the PBS website.

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard of Sid the Science Kid. The videos look fun while teaching science concepts. Someone else mentioned in their blog about putting videos on a blog or wiki and having the kids watch them and respond as part of a learning station.